Today we are going to go over the top ten fuel efficient cars currently being sold in and outside the US. While most of the fuel efficient cars on the EPA (Environment Protection Agency) list of the most fuel efficient cars are listed below. Along with some information on what type of car it is. This list contains mostly all Hybrid cars. However This does not mean you can not duplicate these fuel efficient cars with your own car.
Later through out this post you will be given some very powerful information on how you can convert your current car to a hybrid with very little out of pocket expenses. We all know it is important to own a fuel efficient car. Especially with how the current gas prices are soaring though out the world. Prepare to be amazed by some of the cars you will find on this list of the top ten fuel efficient cars.
Top Ten Best Fuel Efficient Cars
- Toyota Prius 3rd Generation Hybrid. According to the EPA the Prius is the most fuel efficient car sold in the USA. The Prius is a gas-electric hybrid that first went on sale in Japan in 1997. The Prius was also the first mass produced hybrid ever to hit the production lines. The Toyota Prius 3rd Gen Hybrid currently holds the number 1 spot on the most fuel efficient cars of 2010.
- Ford Fusion Hybrid is driven by a state of the art propulsion gas-electric engine. The Ford Fusion first hit the production line Aug. 1 2005. Fusion Hybrid propulsion is supplied by a combination of two sources: an electric motor powered by an innovative nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) battery and the next generation of the 2.5L Atkinson-Cycle I-4 gas engine. The Ford Fusion Hybrid was a close runner up to the Toyota Prius landing it in the top two most fuel efficient cars of 2010.
- Honda Civic Hybrid was first introduced in Japan in late 2001. The Honda Civic Hybrid was introduced to the us in Feb. of 2002 as a 2003 model. The motor is a super efficient 1.3-liter, 8-valve i-VTEC 4-cylinder gasoline engine paired with a lightweight, high-output electric motor, which adds extra power when needed.The Honda civic has made the top ten list for the most fuel efficient cars for the past few years. Once again it makes the top three most fuel efficient cars of 2010.
- Honda Insight Hybrid was first introduced in 1999. The Insight features a highly efficient, 1.3-liter, 8-valve, i-VTEC 4-cylinder engine and DC-brushless electric motor, and it’s equipped with a continuously variable transmission (CVT). The Honda Insight landed itself amung the top five on the top ten fuel efficient cars of 2010
- Lexus HS250h Hybrid was introduced in 2009 as a luxury compact sedan. The engine is a In-line 4, Atkinson cycle with a high output electric drive motor.Even with all its luxuries it has still landed in the top five of the most fuel efficient cars of 2010. It just goes to show you do not need to give up luxury and comfort to own one of the most fuel efficient cars.
- Nissan Altima Hybrid was first introduced in 2007. The Hybrid Altima features a 2.5 L engine QR25DE, CVT transmission, and electric motor/generator. The Nissan Altima Hybrid has been gaing ground on the most fuel efficient cars list. However for 2010 it still remains in the number 6 spot as one of the most fuel efficient cars of 2010.
- Ford Escape Hybrid was first introduced to the US in 2004.Â The Ford Escape Hybrid was also the first SUV hybrid ever to hit the market. The Ford Escape Hybrid has a 2.5L Atkinson-Cycle I-4 Engine with a Permanent Magnet AC synchronous electric motor . Making the Ford Escape Hybrid the most fuel efficient SUV currently on the market. As the Ford Escape Hybrid SUV is one of the most fuel efficient cars of 2010. The Ford Escape Hybrid takes a better title being the most fuel efficient SUV currently on the market.
- Mazda Tribute Hybrid was first introduced in 2007. The Mazada Tribute hybrid offers a 2.5-liter 4-cylinder or 3.0-liter V6. While the Mazda Tribute ranks eighth in the most fuel efficient cars of 2010. It is still one of the newest models of hybrids currently being sold in the US.
- Mercury Mariner Hybrid was first introduced in early 2005. The Mercury Mariner Hybrid offers a 2.5L iVCT I4 Atkinson cycle engine & Permanent magnet electric motor with a 330-volt sealed nickel-metal-hydride (NIMH) battery and a 6-Speed automatic transmission.
- Smart fortwo Cabriolet is the only none hybrid on the top ten best fuel efficient cars of 2010. The Smart foretwo Cabriolet was first introduced in 1998. This two seater offers a 1 liter / 61 cu inch inline 3 engine. Making it the most fuel efficient none hybrid car currently on the market.
While all of the fuel efficient cars mentioned above provide great gas mileage. There is still one major delema for many. That delam is the fact many can not afford to purchase any of these new vehicles. Since studies show that most cars on the road today are older then 10 years. This means with all of these cars older then ten years old you are wasting more money on fuel cost every day on gas you could be saving.
Although did you know your current car could be on this list of the top ten fuel efficient cars. Granted you will not get as good of gas mileage as the Toyota Prius or the Ford Fusion hybrids. You could still save a ton of money every single month on gas. All that is needed to do is add a very simple device called the hho dry cell. These device range in prices from $300-2000. However with the right set of instructions you could build one of these devices your self and install it over the course of a weekend.
If you would like to know more about your alternative fuel options (or to build a HHO gas Generator or a HHO Dry Cell Device to help save on your fuel bill and own fuel efficient cars) these are the guides we recommend:
Either Run Auto With Water (#1 on our Hydrogen fueled cars review page) or Gas 4 Free (#2 on our Hydrogen fueled cars review page) will make it easier for you to really learn about DIY HHO Gas Generators!